Cluster Insight With Bergen Carbon Solutions
This week, we spoke with Jan Børge Sagmo to learn more about him and his work at Bergen Carbon Solutions: A company that produce carbon nanofibers, using CO2 and Norwegian hydropower.
Cluster Insight is a column where we ask six questions to catch a glimpse into the daily business-lives of our cluster partners and members.
This week, we spoke with Jan Børge Sagmo to learn more about him and his work in Bergen Carbon Solutions: A company that produce carbon nanofibers, using CO2 and Norwegian hydropower.
1. What is your role in Bergen Carbon Solutions?
I am the CEO of Bergen Carbon Solutions. We are a small team of 11 people so we have grown carefully since our establishment in 2016.
2. Your main focus at work right now is?
Today, we produces around 1.5 kilos of carbon nanofiber a week in our test plant, and right now we are fully booked for the rest of the year thus, we are currently in a major investment round to scale up production, to meet demand and thus take our company a step closer to what could be an industrial adventure and build the first modular CO2 to carbon-nanofiber production.
Carbon nanofibers are a groundbreaking material with applications in everything from energy storage to protective clothing, so the potential opportunities for usage are vast.
3. Biggest challenges and opportunities in the future?
There are a lot of interest when it comes to our technology and it is important to have the organisation that can maintain the interest which is a challenge, but is also why we are scaling up to meet this upcoming increased demand as mentioned.
This aspect also represents a big opportunity as the market for carbon nanofibers is experiencing rapid growth, principally due to emerging applications in the electronics and healthcare industries.
The carbon nanofibers market is estimated to grow from USD 420M$ in 2020 to 1100M$ in 2024.
4. Best part of being member in a cluster
The best part of being part of a cluster is the many arenas offered to network and moreover, the access to competence found in other partners and members.
5. Your business motto
Green behaviour, makes green workplaces.
6. Which cluster member should we interview next?
Thank you for the insight Jan Børge.
Bergen Carbon Solutions is a company based in Bergen, Norway.
They use innovative technology to produce carbon nanofibers, using CO₂ and Norwegian hydropower.
This makes their production unique and 100 % environmentally friendly.
Carbon nanofibers are carbon fibers at the nanometer scale, consisting of several graphene flakes.
Carbon nanofibers have a unique combination of strength, durability and conductivity and a vast range of applications.
They have revolutionized energy storage, protective clothing, flame retardance and oil spill remediation, as well as therapeutic cancer drugs.
Cluster Insight With Entech
From their TestLab in Arna in Bergen, Entech replicates the environment in an oil and gas well, to test the equipment and minimize risk, associated wi ...
Cluster Insight With Scantrol
Frode Gaupås is searching for new markets in the subsea industry and is currently working on a feasibility study where they are mapping the need for v ...
Cluster Insight With Argus Remote Systems
– We are one of the few electrical Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) manufacturers with more than 12.000 hours at 5850 meters water depths, says Frode K ...
Cluster Insight With TESS Vest
– We have increased our inventory and have more than 9 months of supplier goods available. This is to ensure a predictable supply of goods to our cust ...
Cluster Insight With SubC Solutions
Despite challenging times under Covid-19, SubC Solutions are expanding their organisation, hiring new employees and working with several new projects ...
Cluster Insight With DNB
– Previous crises have shown that to work closely with the clients is vital to finding good solutions in difficult times, says Thomas Johannessen from ...
Cluster Insight With Scantrol Deep Vision
– Although there is no guarantee that we will succeed, we think Deep Vision can revolutionize the fisheries as they are practiced today, says Hege Ham ...
Cluster Insight With DOF Subsea
– We have been successful in harvesting from the sea for hundreds of years and I am certain that with the geographical position we have as “Norwegians ...
Cluster Insight with Prototech
– The Corona crisis has certainly impacted our operations, but order backlog is record high and our greatest challenge going forward is resource manag ...
Cluster Insight with Head Energy
– Our main focus right now is making sure our staff is healthy and safe and that we adhere to the infection control measures that are in place during ...
Cluster Insight with TechnipFMC
The oil and gas industry is cyclical and the industry is just coming out of a longer downturn, hence we are in a ramp-up phase now, receiving new orde ...
Cluster Insight With Norwegian Innovation Technology Group
– Until now there hasn’t existed efficient ways to harvest or fish mesopelagic species without any detrimental effects to the marine environment. We b ...
Cluster Insight with uSEA
– I am convinced that in the not too distant future, our industry will look very different from what it is today. And only if we see the waves beyond ...
Cluster Insight with ASTREA
– Having been a part of the subsea industry for decades I feel that GCE Ocean Technology is the proper forum where I can meet with companies that are ...
Cluster Insight with SOCON
3D printing in metals, use of robotics and laser technology are methods we are trying to adopt as supplements to our existing methods, says Einar Vind ...
Cluster Insight with Birdview
Birdview is looking for financing to be able to recruit manpower that can accommodate a growing demand for their airborne ocean monitoring drone solut ...