Cluster Insight With Scantrol
Frode Gaupås is searching for new markets in the subsea industry and is currently working on a feasibility study where they are mapping the need for vision technology in the subsea and fishery markets.
Cluster Insight is a column where we ask six questions to catch a glimpse into the daily business-lives of our cluster partners and members.
This week, we spoke with Frode Gaupås to learn more about him and his work in Scantrol; an independent supplier of monitoring and control systems to the modern marine and offshore industries.
1. What is your role in Scantrol?
I joined Scantrol in February in a Business Development role where my focus is mainly on the end-users of our technology and also looking at new relevant market opportunities in the subsea industry.
2. Your main focus at work right now is?
In Scantrol, we aim to combine our existing control systems using cameras and machine learning to further develop our control systems for deployment and recovery of ROVs and AUVs, where our clients are using unmanned vessels as a platform.
At the moment, I am working on a feasibility study where we are mapping market need for vision technology in the subsea and fishery markets.
3. Biggest challenges and opportunities for Scantrol in the future?
The ongoing technological and green change in the subsea industry, is focusing on unmanned and autonomous operations. This gives us new opportunities to use machine learning and artificial intelligence combined with our existing control system solutions.
We work closely with our sister companies Deep Vision and Girona Vision Research in Spain, our in-house specialists on vision, machine learning, and artificial intelligence, to offer the market new technology.
4. Best part of being member in a cluster
When applying for public funding, the support we receive from GCE Ocean Technology is essential; the cluster also offers great meeting arenas for networking.
5. Your business motto
I don't have any business motto, but for me, essential values are honesty and integrity when dealing with clients, co-workers, and suppliers.
6. Which cluster member should we interview next?
It would be interesting to learn more about Entech Solutions.
Thank you for the insight Frode.
Scantrol is an independent supplier of monitoring and control systems to the modern marine and offshore industries.
The main focus of Scantrol’s systems is to enhance efficiency, fuel economy and safety.
The control systems range from simple winch control systems to the most advanced controls for offshore support vessels, seismic vessels, AHT vessels, marine research vessels, fishing vessels, semi subs and barges.
Cluster Insight With Scantrol Deep Vision
– Although there is no guarantee that we will succeed, we think Deep Vision can revolutionize the fisheries as they are practiced today, says Hege Ham ...
Cluster Insight With TESS Vest
– We have increased our inventory and have more than 9 months of supplier goods available. This is to ensure a predictable supply of goods to our cust ...
Cluster Insight With Argus Remote Systems
– We are one of the few electrical Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) manufacturers with more than 12.000 hours at 5850 meters water depths, says Frode K ...
Cluster Insight With DNB
– Previous crises have shown that to work closely with the clients is vital to finding good solutions in difficult times, says Thomas Johannessen from ...
Cluster Insight With SubC Solutions
Despite challenging times under Covid-19, SubC Solutions are expanding their organisation, hiring new employees and working with several new projects ...
Cluster Insight with TechnipFMC
The oil and gas industry is cyclical and the industry is just coming out of a longer downturn, hence we are in a ramp-up phase now, receiving new orde ...
Cluster Insight with Prototech
– The Corona crisis has certainly impacted our operations, but order backlog is record high and our greatest challenge going forward is resource manag ...
Cluster Insight with Head Energy
– Our main focus right now is making sure our staff is healthy and safe and that we adhere to the infection control measures that are in place during ...
Cluster Insight With DOF Subsea
– We have been successful in harvesting from the sea for hundreds of years and I am certain that with the geographical position we have as “Norwegians ...
Cluster Insight With Norwegian Innovation Technology Group
– Until now there hasn’t existed efficient ways to harvest or fish mesopelagic species without any detrimental effects to the marine environment. We b ...
Cluster Insight with uSEA
– I am convinced that in the not too distant future, our industry will look very different from what it is today. And only if we see the waves beyond ...
Cluster Insight with ASTREA
– Having been a part of the subsea industry for decades I feel that GCE Ocean Technology is the proper forum where I can meet with companies that are ...
Cluster Insight with SOCON
3D printing in metals, use of robotics and laser technology are methods we are trying to adopt as supplements to our existing methods, says Einar Vind ...
Cluster Insight with Birdview
Birdview is looking for financing to be able to recruit manpower that can accommodate a growing demand for their airborne ocean monitoring drone solut ...