Cluster Insight With Waveco
Inge Bakke has invented a wave power concept to create green energy from ocean waves. He predicts that wave power will be highly relevant in the future energy mix.
Cluster insight is a column where we ask six questions to catch a glimpse into the daily business-lives of our cluster partners and members.
This week, we spoke with Inge Bakke to learn more about him and his work at Waveco; a company with a mission to create green energy from ocean waves.
1. What is your role in Waveco?
I founded Waveco AS in November 2015 to develop my wave power idea with two counter-rotating rotors with flexible turbine blades. Wave energy is an oscillating energy form. Turbines with flexible blades turn this into continuous unidirectional rotation. I am still alone in working with this, except for my partner who takes care of formalities and accounting.
2. Your main focus at work now is?
Basically, the turbine hangs vertically in a cable under a floating buoy. This concept utilises the vertical component of the wave motion and is suitable for deep sea. Right now, I am focusing on utilising the same turbine principle in the surf zone, horizontally oriented, firmly rooted to the bottom. On shallow water, the vertical component of the water movement in a wave will be hindered by the bottom and merge with the horizontal. Thus, the water movement becomes mainly horizontal and the energy density is concentrated.
3. Biggest challenges for Waveco in the future?
Wave power is an immature technology with a bad track record. Neither investors nor industry players seem to want to get involved in this. In the future, however, I predict that wave power will be actualized due to increasing conflicts related to the development of renewable energy on land and in the littoral zone.
4. Best part of being member in a cluster
GCE Ocean Technology has provided an important opportunity for a small start-up company to get in touch with the industry. The cluster's high level of activity in terms of conferences, study trips, courses and meetings also provide a unique opportunity to launch and discuss ideas. GCE Ocean Technology also has a very open and inviting attitude towards new entrants by keeping membership fees at a very low level during the first few years.
5. Your business motto
We should pay the REAL cost of the energy we use.
6. Which cluster member should we interview next?
Thank you for the insight Inge.
Learn more about Waveco.
Cluster Insight With UNITECH Offshore
Hang in there, across the finish line and then go a little further, is the business motto of Gunnar Birkeland. Cluster insight is a column where we a ...
Cluster Insight With CCB Subsea
– Our focus is to stimulate competition and thus the cost level in our market, says Nils Fredrik Fjærvik. He led CCB Subsea from «ground zero» in 2016 ...
Cluster Insight With NORCE
Kari Marvik was elected one of Norway's 50 leading technology women by ODA and Abelia in 2019 – smart sensors and ocean-driven autonomous drones are p ...
Cluster Insight With Mekatronikk
– We have developed our own unique solutions based on blockchain and digital twins. The introduction of this into the marketplace is what takes up mos ...
Cluster Insight With NUI
– To win you must participate, says Rolf Røssland who recently invested heavily in two very large hyperbaric pressure chamber systems with a working p ...
Cluster Insight With Swire Seabed
– Our main challenge is to fully realize what changes we will face in the near future with respect to development of Artificial Intelligence; Machine ...
Cluster Insight With Pro Well Plan
– It is not easy to introduce changes to the oil and gas industry and their established work processes and way of thinking, says Cathrine Eide at Pro ...
Cluster Insight With Heavelock
– Data availability is still an issue, and especially so in drilling, but fortunately we see increased willingness to share data and put it to good us ...
Cluster Insight With Fieldmade
– As we were recently accepted in to the Techstars Energy program we are looking forward to the next few months, getting under the hood and engaging f ...
Cluster Insight With Xylem Analytics
– Xylem’s motto is “Let’s Solve Water” and we provide solutions to water related issues such as floods, lack of clean water and in general for the ent ...
Cluster Insight With Air Liquide
Siver Stendahl from Air Liquide is currently opening a new facility at Risavik Havn in Tananger as well as working on their one-stop shop concept for ...