Cluster Insight with Shearwater GeoServices
– Seismic imaging has never been only a tool for oil and gas, it can be reused in many applications like: site investigations, structural monitoring as well as for predicting geophysical hazards, says Svein Arne Frivik in Shearwater.
Cluster Insight is a column where we ask six questions to catch a glimpse into the daily business-lives of the partners and members of GCE Ocean Technology.
This week we have spoken with Dr. Ing. Svein Arne Frivik, to learn more about him and his work in Shearwater GeoServices - a global provider of powerful geophysical marine seismic acquisition and processing services from sensor to image.
1. What is your role in Shearwater GeoServices?
I am the Engineering Support & Sustaining Manager in Shearwater GeoServices, located at Shearwater Technology and Innovation Centre in Oslo. We call it STIC.
My role involves a lot of different efforts such as ensuring performance of our proprietary technology used in our services, evaluating new technology opportunities as well as looking into new market segments for the company.
2. Your primary focus at work right now is?
My primary focus now is to make our data acquisition systems smarter and more cost efficient as well as capable of addressing challenges in the new markets that are growing with the energy transition. Seismic imaging has never been only a tool for oil and gas, it can be reused in many applications like: site investigations, structural monitoring as well as for predicting geophysical hazards.
I also work to establish partnerships and research activities that would create new ways of using our technology and innovation potential for the best for our company and the future of our planet.
3. Biggest challenges and opportunities for Shearwater GeoServices in the future?
Shearwater is a global geophysical company with a lot of experience in providing geophysical services and products to the market. As an organization we have a wealth of experience in acquiring seismic data for our customers, but we are also a company with decades of knowledge in developing geophysical instrumentation and software products. We cover the full spectrum of products from “Sensor to Image”.
Shearwater has an exciting portfolio of new product and technologies that will be offered soon, and they are all future looking. These products will be more cost efficient and more environmentally friendly than systems used in the industry today. They fit well with the challenges in the energy transition and to position Shearwater in growing markets such as CCUS, exploration for seafloor minerals and offshore wind. Our tools and products will help the customer to get unique insight into their geophysical challenges of tomorrow.
The geophysical industry has always experienced a rapid pace of innovation to meet new challenges, so we believe we are well suited to the energy evolution underway now.
4. Best part of being member in a cluster?
Shearwater joined the cluster in December 2021. Our ambition is to use this as an arena to find new collaboration opportunities. Technology collaboration is central to Shearwater’s innovation strategy. Together we can develop new innovations that make a difference for the future.
5. Your business or life motto
“Innovation, Technology, and Collaboration from Sensor to Image” – Shearwater wants to collaborate to make the best innovation that fits its customer need.
On the personal level I strive to follow “life is now!” - Enjoy life as you can, and do not postpone it, it might not happen….
6. Which cluster member should we interview next?
Thank you for the insight Svein Arne.
Established as a joint venture by GC Rieber Shipping and RASMUSSENGRUPPEN, Shearwater GeoServices is a financially secure seismic exploration company with strong supportive owners, which now include Schlumberger.
Our main focus is to provide superior geophysical services to our clients, meeting high standards of quality in both what we do and how we deliver it.
Together our acquisition teams, processing geophysicists, Engineering and R&D group provide our clients with the tools they need to de-risk their exploration and maximise their production efficiency.
Our vision is to be the marine geophysical contractor of choice by capitalising on our powerful acquisition capabilities, our 21st century processing technology and our experienced staff.
Cluster Insight with Green Minerals
– We are dedicated to contributing to the green shift by finding and producing critical minerals and metals needed for the electrification of our ener ...
Cluster Insight with Glex
– Simply said; we are trying to utilize the 50 years of data, experience and expertise from the Norwegian oil and gas industry to build new technology ...
Cluster Insight with TGS
– The New Energy Solutions team at TGS is repurposing our vast database and know-how for the renewable energy market - adding products, services and p ...
Cluster Insight with CGG
– Our geoscience data, technologies and expertise can play an increasingly important role in the energy transition to a low carbon future. This is why ...
Cluster Insight with ADEPTH Minerals
– We are on a super exciting journey, taking part in developing a new company and a new industry in Norway, with the main goal of creating value throu ...
Cluster Insight with Møllerodden
– We are experiencing great success with companies performing lifting operations in an environmentally friendly way and saving costs with our INOShack ...
Cluster Insight with shAIRskills
We should all think a bit more like Pippi Longstocking, according to Ida T. Sætersdal who advocates the sharing of employees and know-how through shAI ...
Cluster Insight with WindSpider
The WindSpider crane uses the tower of the wind turbine itself as a base for the crane, thus offering safe and powerful lifting capabilities at signif ...
Cluster Insight With Corvus Energy
– In partnership with Toyota, we will develop and produce fuel cells in Bergen, Norway. Fuel-cells combined with batteries will be a game changer, say ...
Cluster Insight with Palfinger Marine Norway
Palfinger Marine has recently joined GCE Ocean Technology wanting to establish multidirectional relationships to other ocean-businesses with focus on ...
Cluster Insight with Capgemini
– My role is new within Capgemini, and it demonstrates our focus as a company to make a green impact, says Gunnulf Rasmussen, Director of Ocean Techno ...
Cluster Insight With PSW
– Together with SubC Solutions, we have developed a subsea electrical valve actuator (EVA) and we expect this product to take a major role within subs ...
Cluster Insight With Hefring Marine
Hefring Marine are looking for the right development and manufacturing partners that can help them standardize and grow their intelligent navigation s ...
Cluster Insight With Semco Maritime
– Our primary focus now is expanding our business footprint for our Hanøytangen operations at Askøy in the years to come by focusing on sustainable in ...