Cluster Insight with Green Minerals
– We are dedicated to contributing to the green shift by finding and producing critical minerals and metals needed for the electrification of our energy system in a sustainable way, says Ståle Monstad from Green Minerals.
Cluster Insight is a column where we ask six questions to catch a glimpse into the daily business-lives of the partners and members of GCE Ocean Technology.
This week we have spoken with Ståle Monstad, to learn more about him and his work in Green Minerals: a pioneer in offshore mining and a leader in marine minerals on the Norwegian continental shelf.
1. What is your role in Green Minerals?
I am the Chief Geoscientist & Head of Exploration in Green Minerals and have been working with geology in Oil & Gas Operating companies for 25+ years. Both within Exploration, Research and Management.
All this background is now combined into my current role. The big difference compared to my previous occupation is of course that in Green Minerals we will not be exploring for hydrocarbons, but rather critical minerals for the energy transition.
Coming from the oil and gas industry, this is a very different geological subject. Research and exploration for marine minerals has mainly been done by academia in the past, and my job is to convert this into an exploration strategy that fits the industrial scene. Bottom line, there is a lot to learn and a lot of new ground to cover, but it is really exciting to work with a “new” geological setting in a brand new industry.
2. Your primary focus at work right now is?
Deep sea mining is an industry in the making. Currently the Norwegian authorities are conducting an environmental impact assessment within our Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) that could lead to a decision to open for mineral exploration.
My primary focus is to ensure that we are ready for that opening decision. With that, comes competence building and extensive collaborations with governmental institutions, academia and industrial partners within a variety of topics, spanning from emerging deep-sea technologies to the biology and ecology of the deep oceans.
3. Biggest challenges and opportunities for Green Minerals in the future?
We in Green Minerals are dedicated to contributing to the green shift by finding and producing critical minerals and metals needed for the electrification of our energy system. We are determined to do this in a sustainable and environmental-friendly way. And we believe the potential for minerals in the Norwegian EEZ in combination with world class deep-sea technology and a very competent legislator offers a unique opportunity for Green Minerals and other deep-sea minerals companies in Norway.
The biggest challenge as we see it, is the lack of an existing industry ecosystem. We need to build and develop mutual beneficiary alliances and partnerships in time for the opening of the Norwegian sector.
4. Best part of being member in a cluster?
To establish deep sea mining as an industry we need to work together towards the same goal. It cannot be done in isolation. The GCE Ocean Technology cluster is a great arena for knowledge sharing and collaboration, to get support and inspiration, and of course to meet potential partners working on similar or related topics to Green Minerals.
5. Your business/life motto
My business motto and life motto are basically the same: “Success without integrity is failure”.
6. Which cluster member should we interview next?
It would be very interesting to read about MinerAll and their ambitions in Norway.
Thank you for the insight Ståle.
With the strong backing from our parent Green Energy Group, Green Minerals is a pioneer in offshore mining and a leader in marine minerals on the Norwegian continental shelf.
Mission: Deliver minerals for the Green Shift in a responsible and sustainable manner
How: Deep sea mining of minerals and rare earth elements (REE) are key to the green transition, eliminating the huge social costs in onshore mining while reducing the environmental footprint by more than 90% and at the same time solving a strategic need for EU and USAA unique mix of game development, geology and geospatial technology and competence.
We build beautiful solutions solving complex problems for some of the most demanding customers in the world.
Cluster Insight with Glex
– Simply said; we are trying to utilize the 50 years of data, experience and expertise from the Norwegian oil and gas industry to build new technology ...
Cluster Insight with TGS
– The New Energy Solutions team at TGS is repurposing our vast database and know-how for the renewable energy market - adding products, services and p ...
Cluster Insight with CGG
– Our geoscience data, technologies and expertise can play an increasingly important role in the energy transition to a low carbon future. This is why ...
Cluster Insight with ADEPTH Minerals
– We are on a super exciting journey, taking part in developing a new company and a new industry in Norway, with the main goal of creating value throu ...
Cluster Insight with Møllerodden
– We are experiencing great success with companies performing lifting operations in an environmentally friendly way and saving costs with our INOShack ...
Cluster Insight with shAIRskills
We should all think a bit more like Pippi Longstocking, according to Ida T. Sætersdal who advocates the sharing of employees and know-how through shAI ...
Cluster Insight with WindSpider
The WindSpider crane uses the tower of the wind turbine itself as a base for the crane, thus offering safe and powerful lifting capabilities at signif ...
Cluster Insight With Corvus Energy
– In partnership with Toyota, we will develop and produce fuel cells in Bergen, Norway. Fuel-cells combined with batteries will be a game changer, say ...
Cluster Insight with Palfinger Marine Norway
Palfinger Marine has recently joined GCE Ocean Technology wanting to establish multidirectional relationships to other ocean-businesses with focus on ...
Cluster Insight with Capgemini
– My role is new within Capgemini, and it demonstrates our focus as a company to make a green impact, says Gunnulf Rasmussen, Director of Ocean Techno ...
Cluster Insight With Hefring Marine
Hefring Marine are looking for the right development and manufacturing partners that can help them standardize and grow their intelligent navigation s ...
Cluster Insight With PSW
– Together with SubC Solutions, we have developed a subsea electrical valve actuator (EVA) and we expect this product to take a major role within subs ...
Cluster Insight With Semco Maritime
– Our primary focus now is expanding our business footprint for our Hanøytangen operations at Askøy in the years to come by focusing on sustainable in ...