Cluster Insight with Westcon Yards
– As we start the fabrication and installation of Sea Twirl’s pilot wind turbine concept; this can hopefully bring work to Norwegian suppliers thus a lot of the members of GCE Ocean Technology, says Steinar Matre, department manager for subsea projects.
Cluster Insight is a column where we ask six questions to catch a glimpse into the daily business-lives of the partners and members of GCE Ocean Technology.
This week we have spoken with Steinar Matre to learn more about him, and his work in Westcon Yards – one of the most modern and successful shipyards in the industry.
1. What is your role in Westcon?
Department manager for subsea projects out of our yard in Florø.
2. Your primary focus at work right now is?
We are a project driven organisation, so our primary focus is always to deliver great projects to together with our customers. This is also the most satisfying for our team and what drives us forward.
3. Biggest challenges and opportunities for Weston Yards in the future?
Westcon has a long history in the maritime and offshore industry where we adapt to new market situations continuously, so dealing with challenges and opportunities is part of any shipyards natural culture.
Right now, we are especially looking into the wind and aquaculture markets, which is very exciting and hopefully this will bring opportunities for the Norwegian coastal industry in many years to come.
Only last week, we signed a letter of intent with an exciting Swedish company, SeaTwirl AB, for fabrication and installation of their pilot wind turbine concept. This is proof that the Norwegian industry is competitive also in this a segment that hopefully will bring work to a lot of the members of GCE Ocean Technology.
4. Best part of being member in a cluster?
It is great pleasure to witness when members of the cluster combine their competence and new technology and venture into projects together. Moreover, GCE Ocean Technology offers useful resources and competence for their members which is normally not that easily available.
For instance, we participated in the Ocean Technology Scale-up programme a few years ago, which was very valuable for us and our growth strategy. So, I would encourage other companies to take advantage of the Scale-up and/or other cluster programmes when you have the chance.
5. Your business/life motto
No special business motto – but hard work mostly seems to pay off in the end!
6. Which cluster member should we interview next?
I would support some more insights from the members from the southern part of the GCE Ocean Technology - a company with some interesting changes and developments is Imenco.
Thank you for the insight Steinar.
Over the past decade, Westcon Yards AS has developed one of the most modern and successful shipyards in the industry.
Our yards are situated along the Norwegian coast, close to the North Sea. This allows rigs and ships the possibility of a swift return to full activity.
Cluster Insight with Nicoustic
– More or less every operator on the Norwegian continental shelf that I have spoken with, have shown interest in our novel technology for non-intrusiv ...
Cluster Insight with Havkraft
Havkraft has developed and patented wave power plants that are preparing for the global energy market and people are now more than welcome to invest i ...
Cluster Insight with Odfjell Oceanwind
– Our long-term plan is to become a leading solution provider to floating wind parks like ScotWind and Utsira Nord, says Kenneth Fossøy. Cluster Ins ...
Cluster Insight with USEA
– We have developed new technology that makes the ultimate AUV-USV integration possible in a fully automated way which enables us to run offshore surv ...
Cluster Insight with DeepOcean
– We are working with a number of projects which will have an enormous impact on the way we are working – like our Remote Operations Centre for ROV’s, ...
Cluster Insight with GAIA Global
– We function as an accelerator for small and medium-sized technology providers, making the establishment of new sales channels more efficient and wit ...
Cluster Insight with Green Minerals
– We are dedicated to contributing to the green shift by finding and producing critical minerals and metals needed for the electrification of our ener ...