Cluster Insight with DeepOcean
– We are working with a number of projects which will have an enormous impact on the way we are working – like our Remote Operations Centre for ROV’s, says Andries Ferla.
Cluster Insight is a column where we ask six questions to catch a glimpse into the daily business-lives of the partners and members of GCE Ocean Technology.
This week we have spoken with Andries Ferla, to learn more about him and his work in DeepOcean - a leading subsea services provider, servicing any equipment with specialised expertise.
1. What is your role in DeepOcean?
I am the Ocean Solutions and Technology Director in DeepOcean. This means I have two separate, but very much linked responsibilities. On the one hand I am leading our Innovation and Technology development team. They are working to develop new technology to improve our way of working, both in cost, safety, and environmental footprint. My other responsibility is to grow our company within what we call ocean solutions, the emerging markets in the ocean space.
2. Your primary focus at work right now is?
DeepOcean has a vast knowledge and competence to serve our clients in the renewables and oil and gas space. My primary focus today is how we can use this experience together with the new technologies to serve clients in the new markets. We know we have a lot to contribute to the exploration, and later production of deep sea minerals. But our services are also very relevant to offshore activities such as aquaculture and environmental monitoring.
3. Biggest challenges and opportunities for DeepOcean in the future?
The future is looking bright for our company. We are seeing rising activity levels in our offshore operations. Windstaller, our renewable energy alliance with Aker Solutions and Solstad Offshore is getting great traction in the market as well.
On the technology side we are also working with a number of projects which will have an enormous impact on the way we are working. We have had great success with our Remote Operations Centre (ROC), where we control work class ROVs from shore. These technology projects will add more functionality and smarter ways of working to the ROC.
4. Best part of being member in a cluster?
Before Covid (sounds like a long time ago) I had participated in a few events organised by GCE Ocean Technology. These were great forums for us to meet partners and stakeholders active in our main, and new markets - to share best practices and exchange ideas.
5. Your business/life motto
We live by our values: Attitude, Courage and Teamwork. This creates ACT, which describes the dynamic culture and can-do attitude of our teams.
6. Which cluster member should we interview next?
Thank you for the insight Andries.
DeepOcean is a world-leading ocean services provider, enabling energy transition and sustainable use of ocean resources, offering survey, engineering, project management, installation, maintenance, and recycling services for oil and gas, offshore renewables, deep sea minerals, and other ocean services.
Across the global offices, DeepOcean is a trusted independent solutions provider with highly skilled industry experts, using world-class fit-for-purpose tools and technology to drive cost-efficient and safe operations.
The company delivers innovative engineering solutions focusing on remote and unmanned operations and digitally-enabled services while continuously striving to lower the carbon footprint.
Cluster Insight with GAIA Global
– We function as an accelerator for small and medium-sized technology providers, making the establishment of new sales channels more efficient and wit ...
Cluster Insight with Shearwater GeoServices
– Seismic imaging has never been only a tool for oil and gas, it can be reused in many applications like: site investigations, structural monitoring a ...
Cluster Insight with Green Minerals
– We are dedicated to contributing to the green shift by finding and producing critical minerals and metals needed for the electrification of our ener ...
Cluster Insight with Glex
– Simply said; we are trying to utilize the 50 years of data, experience and expertise from the Norwegian oil and gas industry to build new technology ...
Cluster Insight with TGS
– The New Energy Solutions team at TGS is repurposing our vast database and know-how for the renewable energy market - adding products, services and p ...