Andreas Havn Won Best Student Award
Following a poll among his fellow students, Andreas Havn, from Western Norway University of Applied Sciences, has been elected "Best Student, Ocean Technology class of 2018 – 2021".
The award was handed over at a ceremony with his fellow students and GCE Ocean Technology at Marineholmen in Bergen today.
Who is Andreas
Andreas is 22 years old and comes from Bømlo, an island located between Bergen and Haugesund. After his attendance in upper secondary school and a following exciting year at Manger Folkehøgskule in which he specialized in brass band playing, he decided to choose his field of study within engineering.
- I’ve always had a passion for the technical aspect of things, so naturally I wanted to find a degree programme where I could really indulge myself within my interests. I settled with Ocean Technology at the Western Norway University of Applied Sciences (HVL), since it covered a broad variety of courses in both mechanics and electronics as well as an option to choose a specialization within aqua culture. At the time, I felt a relief that I've found a degree that was fitted for both me and the future.
Upon graduation, Andreas is looking forward to start gathering experience as an engineer.
- I’m eager to get some experience from the industry and learn more within a field of work along with fellow colleagues. Knowing the importance of the maritime industry from both my own home island and Norway, makes me want to contribute in developing innovative and sustainable solutions, he says.
Apart from tinkering with his own personal projects, like building and flying racing drones, Andreas thoroughly enjoys being close to the sea and nature. He regularly participates in the yearly arranged beach cleaning day and appreciate going fishing with his family.
– Its been three fantastic years though with assiduous work beside and together with excellent students and friends, which I couldn’t manage without. I’m truly humble to receive this prize, he ends.
A Worthy Winner
– Andreas is a deserving prize winner. In addition to very good grades and his dedicated attitude, he has also shown great academic skills and an open-minded personality, says Owe Hagesæther, CEO of GCE Ocean Technology, who together with SpareBank 1 SR-Bank established the award to contribute to a good study- and learning environment.
– One of his main strengths is that he is always seeking results he can be proud of. However, the most important skill is that Andreas is a very caring person who always has a positive attitude when it comes to situations both in a social and an academic context. He is a very worthy winner of this price, says Tone Røkenes, Assistant Professor and Andreas study coordinator at Western Norway University of Applied Sciences (HVL). She has followed Andreas for three years.
After his studies Andreas is now looking for a relevant job. – The company that gets Andreas is lucky. He has shown a solution-oriented and pragmatic approach to the industry, which emerged during the bachelor thesis, says Røkenes.
The Best Student Award is sponsored by:
About the Award
The "Best Student, Ocean Technology" award is granted to a student that has demonstrated excellent academic results and stood out by contributing to the community and helping develop professional and social aspects of the programme.
The award consists of a diploma and 15,000 Norwegian Kroner sponsored by Sparebank 1 SR Bank, as well as honour and glory.
Photo: Andreas Havn, award winner 2021.
Benjamin Mikkelsen Won Best Student Award
Following a poll among his fellow students, Benjamin Mikkelsen, from Western Norway University of Applied Sciences (HVL), has been elected "Best Stude ...
Morten Kvalvik Won Best Student Award
Following a poll among his fellow students, Morten Kvalvik, from Western Norway University of Applied Sciences, has been elected "Best Student, Subsea ...
Best Student Award – Class of 2015–2018
Stian was handed the award "Student of the Year, Subsea Technology" at the Underwater Technology Conference (UTC) 2018 in Bergen on 12 June. Owe Hage ...
A Worthy Winner
Following a poll amongst his fellow students, Øystein Utbjoe Andersland has been elected "Best student, Subsea Technology - class of 2014–2017". Øyste ...
Best Student in Underwater Technology, Florø
Joakim Nyland was announced winner of best student in Underwater Technology at Western Norway University of Applied Sciences (HVL), department of Flor ...